Hard Drive Noise - Maxtor?

matt-few 21:22 05 May 05

A couple of months ago I bought a new computer, which has a Maxtor 120gb Serial Boot Drive and 2 x Maxtor 250gb IDE Drives (Raid 1) for Video and Photos Files - Windows XP and all software is installed on the boot drive.

However, over the last month, I have noticed the increase noise from my Raid Drives, especially when working with larger files. Is it true from what colleagues have told me that Maxtor is not known for producing quiet drives. Also, the company who built my computer, did recommend Western Digital, but I asked for the Maxtor as they were ATA133 drives and not ATA100 (Western Digital).

Do I just have to put with the noise (although not competing with a noisy washing machine, it does get annoying when you are trying to concentrate / work with large phone and video files?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:17 05 May 05

Check thedisks out with Maxblast3 click here

dirtyh 22:57 05 May 05

They all start off nice and smooth not making so much noise,but vidio editing is the most intensive work for the h/drive,so it will speed up the gradual decline in accoustics.
my seagates were great for about 8 months now they make a racket.

matt-few 05:50 06 May 05

I also have three maxtor external drives which I have had longer than this pc, and they have been hammered, but in comparison to the Maxtor internal hdd's, you would t know they are being used as so quiet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…