Hard Drive Mystery

Quirkafleeg 18:29 15 Nov 06

Hello

Ive just noticed that several folders containing pictures in the "My Pictures" folder have dissapeared. Not all of the contents, just certain folders.

I've also just discovered that half of the songs on my PC have gone as well.

I've tried going back to a previous system snapshot, and have run spyware and virus checks - nothing.

Has anyone any ideas what might cause random things to be deleted from the hard drive?

Forum Editor 19:13 15 Nov 06

is damaged sectors on the drive itself, and now's the time to back up anything of value to removable media.

Then run scandisk.

Quirkafleeg 22:33 15 Nov 06

Thank you for the advice

Done all that, didn't appear to be anything wrong. Most confusing

brundle 22:35 15 Nov 06

Double check with manufacturers diagnostics, more thorough than Windows `chkdsk`; click here

skidzy 22:40 15 Nov 06

If lost pictures try Picassa2,it scans the harddrive...you might get lucky ! click here

Or Drive Rescue click here

or: pc inspector click here

Just some to get on with for now.

Good luck

Quirkafleeg 15:44 16 Nov 06

No luck i'm afraid - not worried about the pics, but concerned about the tracks. Have to finf out how to transfer them back from my Ipod to the PC!

Thanks for your help

skidzy 16:11 16 Nov 06

click here
click here click here
Few more to try,good luck

SB23 16:40 16 Nov 06

This happened to me last year. Programs just started disappearing. I would reinstall, then they would go again.
As FE has suggested, it was bad sectors, but lots of them, and in total I had to reinstall Xp a total of 3 times before I got round to replacing my HD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…