hard drive missing, please help

qt1923 20:11 16 Dec 09

i have a hp m9365 pc, vista sp2, 4gb memory, and 2 hard drives c and e both 500gb. but today when i put on my pc drive e was missing. also it took very long for my pc to load up, the part that took long was when it loads up windows and it just seems to freeze for a while but then continues to load after. i tried loading the computer in safe mode but i got an error. i restored the computer back to a few days ago but that hasn't changed anything either.

can anyone please help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 16 Dec 09

second physical drive or a partition on the main drive?

Check data and power cables to your second drive if fitted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:31 16 Dec 09

if second partition try disk management and check for errors if you can see the partition.

Devil Fish 20:31 16 Dec 09

slow to boot could be a sign of impending disk problems run a disk check go to my computer right click c drive click properties then the tools tab

click the error then check the box to repair reboot to run check hope this helps

qt1923 21:28 16 Dec 09

thanks for the responses, i will try a disk check now.

how would i know if it's a second physical drive or a partition?

qt1923 21:31 16 Dec 09

when i tried to do the disk check it said 'windows can't check the disk while it's in use.'

Devil Fish 21:33 16 Dec 09

you will need to reboot for check disk to run

woodchip 21:58 16 Dec 09

Look in the BIOS to see if you can see the drive, I think its a Connection Problem to the Motherboard or a faulty Controller Card on the Drive. Ignore if anybody talks about jumpers, as it was working as is.

woodchip 22:01 16 Dec 09

Slow boot means it should but cannot find the other drive and its trying to auto load it. So a disc Check may sort it, if you can get to it

woodchip 22:03 16 Dec 09

And you have to be able to See the E:\ Drive to check it. Its no good running it on C:\ if E:\ missing

qt1923 22:14 16 Dec 09

thanks for the help but the disk check did not help. i cannot see the e drive when i click on my computer, so i couldn't do the check on that drive.

i think maybe they are 2 separate drives because a while back i reset my computer back to it's factory settings so everything on the c drive was put back to how i bought it but my e drive was still the same all my files were still on the e drive.

if i reset my computer back to it's factory settings again do you think the e drive will show up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…