hard drive memory problems

bluemagpie 21:38 26 Mar 03

I have an old computer with a 386 processor and a 1.5gb hard drive which I re-formatted. When I tried to reinstall windows 95 it reported insufficient space. The hard disk is now only registering a capacity of 75mb?? How can I get the PC to recognise the 1.5Gb??

woodchip 21:59 26 Mar 03

Is it a full windows 95 disc not a restore disc. and have you got all drivers and software you need to reinstall

Lone Crow 22:08 26 Mar 03

It could be a BIOS setting problem. On an old 386 there may not be an Auto-detect facility in the hard drive section of the BIOS, which would mean you would have to put settings in manually in order to enable it to recognise the full capacity of the drive. Are you BIOS savvy? If not, ask again for help here, but try to offer folks at least the BIOS make/type - any details you can about its type and version. If the BIOS side seems okay you could try doing the F-disk process on it and then reformatting again. That should clean off any weird effects and ensure the hard disk really is offering its full 1.5Gb. Cheers. LC.

bluemagpie 22:08 26 Mar 03

It is a full 95 disc and I have a boot up floppy disc as well. The Pc will no longer recognise the 1.5gb

bluemagpie 22:08 26 Mar 03

It is a full 95 disc and I have a boot up floppy disc as well. The Pc will no longer recognise the 1.5gb

woodchip 22:11 26 Mar 03

As above use ether Fdisk or Partition Magic then format

bluemagpie 22:11 26 Mar 03

I have tried the fdisk solution a couple of times with no success. I will have a play in the bios

bluemagpie 22:13 26 Mar 03

what is "Partition magic"

woodchip 22:14 26 Mar 03

It sounds like a bios limitation, What Operating System did this comp have originally

woodchip 22:17 26 Mar 03

Partition Magic is a Easy software Program you can buy to do the work of partitioning your drive or correcting problems with Partition

Lone Crow 22:18 26 Mar 03

PartitionMagic is one of the leading bits of software for partitioning drives so that they appear as more than one drive. It's most useful for enabling more than one operating system to reside on the same hard disk (you select which you want during boot up). I can't see how it would help you here cos you have no functioning system to load PM into! The BIOS is the most likely solution. LC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant