Hard drive locked

Hi, I have an old hard drive and was trying to install win 98 when I was informed that the os couldn`t install because the hard drive couldn`t be locked.Does anyone know what this means and if it can be reversed ie unlocked?I couldn`t fdisk or format the drive either.
many thanks

Diodorus Siculus 21:22 13 Dec 04

Try with a boot floppy disk and see if you get anywhere - is there anything installed on it?

frankie 21:31 13 Dec 04

you may find this has system files on it if out of a dell hp tiny etc pc ie startup/recovery files

There is win 98 already on the disc but it has corrupted files and wont perform most tasks you set it.I was thinking a fresh install might be the answer.But hard drive cant be locked so wont let win98 install.

Belatucadrus 10:29 14 Dec 04

click here response 2 may be worth a try.

Many thanks for all the imput.I`ll try again and if no luck I`ll try replacing hard drive with cheap substitute.It is an old pc.Just fixing it to give to a friend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…