Hard drive letters

Laser157 17:58 28 Jan 04

Setting up my new computer I partitioned the new HDD into three drives. Letters C,D and E were allocated. I have now formatted and created a non-boot drive on another HDD as additional storage. This insists on using letter D and bumping the previous D and E down one letter. I would like all the three partitions on Drive 1 to be together, not have the additional one coming in between. How can I do this without starting over again installing Windows ( Millenium) and programs?

Diemmess 18:05 28 Jan 04

Have a feeling it is all down to Windows, stacking the first partition with any other primaries.

In DOS based programs like Ghost and HyperOs there is no such nonsense. Like you I will hope someone turns up with the answer!

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:10 28 Jan 04

The easy way in XP is to go to start-run and type diskmgmt.msc.

If you want to change the letters assigned to your fixed or removable drives: Right Click on My Computer, Select Manage, Select Disk Management.

For a Fixed Disk:

Select it, Right click, Select Change Drive Letter and Path, Click on the Edit button, Enter in the letter you want to use.
For a Removable Disk:

In the lower, right hand panel, right click on the Disk or CD ROM #, Select Change Drive Letter and Path, Click on the Edit button. Enter in the letter you want to use.

You will probably be unable to change the 'C' drive.

G

keith-236785 18:11 28 Jan 04

one way is to use partition magic, but if you dont have it then that is going to be expensive.

in XP you use the disk management to arrange drive letters, i don't know if ME has the same sort of setup.

if you have partition magic, right click on the drive you want to change, go to Advanced (its the bottom one), and then change drive letter.

good luck, wait a while and see if someone who uses ME can offer any better help.

Laser157 18:43 28 Jan 04

Thanks for the contributions so far. No, ME doesn't have disk management, so further ideas would be welcome! I'm not sure I want to invest in partition magic as I would probably only use it once. I often think it's a shame you can't hire this type of software and be charged per use.

Laser157 19:15 28 Jan 04

I just tried creating 2 partitions on the extra drive. Result - drive 1 has all 3 partitions together as C D E and drive 2 together as F & G. This is OK, but I'd like to understand what Windows is up to here. Maybe I'll go back to one and see if it stays in order.

Laser157 19:23 28 Jan 04

Amazing! It's come out right with drive 2 as one partition after all the drive 1 partitions. Always helps to talk to others while solving your own problems!

SEASHANTY 19:43 28 Jan 04

See this website for info on partitions and click on
the link DOS assigns drive letters to see what happens when you install another hard disk drive
click here

Laser157 20:25 28 Jan 04

Thanks Seashanty for that link. I now understand extended partitions and logical drives properly for the first time, but I haven't quite worked out why I was initially getting the drive letter problem with the extra HDD. Anyway it's sorted now. A useful link which I will keep for future reference.

david.turner 02:32 24 Feb 04

My son's PC came with drives C, D, and E already set up. He's now getting situations where he appears to be running out of space on Drive C, but there's plenty of space left on D and E.

There's no reason he needs separate drives, so I'd like to consolidate all the drives into C. I tried to use the XP Disk Management utility to delete D and E, but it says there are paging files on the drives, and won't delete them.

Can someone tell me the correct procedure to use to delete the page files, delete drives D and E, and expand drive C to include the entire disk?

Thanks, -- David Turner

SEASHANTY 11:08 24 Feb 04

Many PC manufacturers partition the disc into three
partitions such as C, D and E. My own Medion PC's
have hard drives partitioned in such a way. C is the main drive formatted in NTFS, D is the BACKUP drive
formatted in NTFS and C is the RECOVERY drive formatted in FAT32 which will restore the PC to its
initial condition when it left the Mfrs factory. Your son's PC is most likely configured with some similar arrangement. It would be very unwise to merge the partitions which is probably why you have found out it will not allow this. Do a drive cleanup of "C" and defragment. If more space is needed fit an extra drive or use an external drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…