Hard Drive lettering?

Leejg 13:17 01 May 04

Hello

I've just installed a second hard drive with Windows Xp Home on it. My first has WinMe on it that I'm going to use as a back up drive now that all my files are transferred.

What I wanted to know was the second drive has been labelled as F drive even though I set it as the master. Is it stuck with this or will it change once I delete Win Me?

Thanks

powerless 14:01 01 May 04

You can change the drive letter.

SANTOS7 14:03 01 May 04

To assign a drive letter to a drive, partition, or volume:
Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

NOTE: If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance is displayed in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then in the left pane, click Disk Management.
Right-click the drive, partition, logical drive, or volume for which you want to assign a drive letter, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Add.
Click Assign the following drive letter (if it is not already selected), either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
The drive letter is assigned to the drive, partition, or volume that you specified, and is displayed in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

back to the top
How to Change a Drive Letter
To change an existing drive letter on a drive, partition, or volume:
Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then in the left pane, click Disk Management.
Right-click the drive, partition, logical drive, or volume for which you want to assign a drive letter, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Change.
Click Assign the following drive letter (if it is not already selected), click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
The drive letter of the drive, partition, or volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter is displayed in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

back to the top
How to Remove a Drive Letter
To remove an existing drive letter on a drive, partition, or volume:
Click Remove.
Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the removal.
The drive letter is removed from the drive, partition, or volume that you specified.

bretsky 14:07 01 May 04

In xp, go to start>control panel>admin tools>computer management>disk management,right click drive that you want to change and highlight change drive letter and paths.

Hope this helps.

bretsky ;0)

Leejg 14:57 01 May 04

Thanks all

I'll have a look.

I'm going to format my old C drive soon.

Will it cause any problems with Win Xp if I change the letter as all the references are for F drive, in my folders Etc.

powerless 14:58 01 May 04

Is this an upgrade version

Or

Full version?

Leejg 15:12 01 May 04

It's a full OEM version I got it when a bought the new hard disk

powerless 15:19 01 May 04

Did you install XP whilst the WinME HDD was connected, if you did, do you get a load screen to choose your operating system that you would like to use?

Leejg 15:24 01 May 04

Yes I'd set the new disk to master for Xp and the old one to slave with Me on, hoping that I'd be able to dual boot. I tried setting it up once Xp was up and running but no luck. I'm not too bothered as I managed to transfer my files ok. I was just hoping I could have my Xp drive as C when I formatted the old disk to use as back up.

Leejg 23:44 01 May 04

Thanks everyone.

I managed to change the letter of my newly formatted C drive to G, but it gave me a warning that some programs may be effected by this. I went ahead as there wasn't anything on it.

But does anybody know if it will effect my drive with the full Windows Xp set up?

Lee

powerless 13:06 02 May 04

No it shouldn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…