Hard Drive Letter Assignments in Win XP

Grimy Corporal 09:26 28 Dec 03

Well that'll teach me. My Fedora Linux install has gone completely pear shaped and after deleting the Linux partition re-installing Win XP my hard disk has now assigned itself the letter K: instead of C: Please can someone get me out of the poo Any advice gratefully received. I was up till 3:30 trying to sort it out. Someone take pity on an old git who won't stop fiddling with his PC

Many Thanks

Mac

VoG II 09:30 28 Dec 03

click here but you can't change the system disk letter.

Grimy Corporal 09:46 28 Dec 03

Cheers VoG, well thats it then isn't it I'll just have to live with it, though it's going to annoy the hell out of me.

Cheers

Mac

alcudia 21:40 28 Dec 03

It can be done. Read knowledge base article Q223188. It's very tricky and not for the faint hearted. But by using the registry changes you can change the system volume back to C.

leo49 21:57 28 Dec 03

Reading that article I'm doubtful whether it can be applied in this case as the drive letter hasn't changed from the initial assigned installation letter - although it would be nice if a willing guineapig tried it and reported back. :o)

leo49 21:59 28 Dec 03

and also

"The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server"

alcudia 22:14 28 Dec 03

It works for Xp as well. I got the details from the MS Press book XP Inside Out. You're right though. I missed the fact that this is not the initial letter that has changed. well spotted.

No I will not be the guinea pig.

leo49 22:22 28 Dec 03

Aw,go on - don't be spoilsport. :o)

VoG II 22:25 28 Dec 03

Yes go on - everything I've read says it cannot be done. Prove them wrong and be a hero.

If things go wrong you can always try click here for help.

alcudia 22:30 28 Dec 03

Look lads, I want a happy new year. I've had this machine in bits twice since Christmas. It ain't broke now so I'm not going to fix it (again)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…