HARD DRIVE LED

Fungus 11:18 07 Jun 03

I have just built a new system with the following
Asus A7N8X Deluxe M/B
160 GB Maxtor H/D
Plus the other requird parts. This is all fitted into a Scorpio Tower.
My question is Hard drive LED is either on constantly with plug on one way and when turned the other way LED is off, not even a flicker.
Also the case came with a strange metalic ring, about 25mm diameter with 12mm hole with no suggestions for its purpose. Is it needed?

MartinT-B 11:31 07 Jun 03

Make sure your HDD LED is on the right headers.

Mine wasn't - I have the same board, but couldn't find the correct header easily in the Asus book.

The HDD LED header is NOT part of the main reset/power headers in the bottom right corner. it is SLIGHTLY above and to the left and set at 90 degrees to them.

Where is th hole, and what case have you got?

MartinT-B 11:32 07 Jun 03

sorry just seen scorpio case. Where's the hole?

Fungus 11:49 07 Jun 03

the hole is thro the middle of the ring. The ring itself has a graohite colour to it.The case is achieftec scorpio case.

Fungus 11:56 07 Jun 03

Well done MartinT-B,
HD led is as you said. It's supprising when some one points you in the right direction as ive actually found it in the manual as well.
The met ring is not actually part of the case but some thing that came with it.

MartinT-B 12:02 07 Jun 03

Could it be a ferrite magnetic ring?

click here (cancel the chinese it wants to install, it's the english part of the site) Does it look like one of those?

-pops- 12:42 07 Jun 03

The ring, as MartinT-B intimates is a ferrite choke designed to stop or reduce electromagnetic radiation from the cables to/from the from panel (LEDs, switches etc). The idea is to thread all of these wires through the ring, loop round and thread again before attaching to the motherboard.

Brian

-pops- 12:44 07 Jun 03

Sorry, should read "- - - to/from the front panel - - -"

B

Fungus 13:23 07 Jun 03

Thanks,
yes it is one of those.
will fit as suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…