hard drive jumper settings

reddwarfcrew 20:10 30 Oct 04

I have a maxtor maxline plus II 250 gb (7y250po)

I'm unsure of what the jumper settings should be?

I want to set the drive as master. The drive has pins for master, cs and cap limit.

the website shows what you should set it as, but I'm still unsure

click here

its style A2

Now I have a single partion of 250GB, so should I put a jumper on just the left pin, or the left and 3rd set of pins (ie do I need a jumper on the cap limit pins?).

The manual is at the following link, but it didn't help me!!

click here

thanks

reddwarfcrew 20:10 30 Oct 04

its being used in a USB 2 external hard drive caddy.

THE TERMINATOR 20:29 30 Oct 04

If it is going to be set as master, whith your operating system on it, then you need to have the jumper covering the first two jumpers ([:::) as is shown in the diagrams....T

THE TERMINATOR 20:31 30 Oct 04

If you are going to set it as slave, using your old drive as master, you need to put the jumpers on the third set of jumpers....T

reddwarfcrew 20:35 30 Oct 04

but its not attached to the IDE contr's on the mobo, its in a USB2 external HDD caddy.

Even if it was attached to the mobo, your answer doesn't seem to make sense, did you mean that for master it needs to be on both the 1st and third set (its this CLI jumper (3rd jumper) that is confusing me).

woodchip 20:50 30 Oct 04

You just need a jumper on the Master pins, if you put it on any other it will not work. You may have to Partition the drive in your computer also before fitting it in the external box. I had to do that.

woodchip 20:53 30 Oct 04

PS you first have to set it to slave and fit it in your comp to do the above then fit in caddy but change the jumper to master before you fit it.

reddwarfcrew 20:58 30 Oct 04

Woodchip, thats what I had done.

I had had this drive before and it came with the jmper on master and a second jumper across the tops pins of the 2nd and 3rd set of jumpers.

The drive worked fine for 6 weeks, then failed. This new drive is the replacement and only came with the one jumper.

Its all this CLI jumper and the 137GB limit that has worried/confused me.

woodchip 21:02 30 Oct 04

Forget the CLI and the Limit jumper positions

SANTOS7 21:15 30 Oct 04

You may well find you don't need the jumper at all, installed second HDD (maxtor) into my pc and had to remove jumper, works perfect...........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…