Hard drive issues

nar 18:11 23 Sep 03

I have a 20 gig hard drive that is amost full. It has alot of preloaded software including win98 and works etc and also has a prepartitioned drive. i have recently purchased winxp upgrade. My win98 was preloaded and does not have a disk for it, just the quick restore disk for resets. Can i get rid of all the old stuff from my drive and be left with just win xp and nothing else. Can anyone help?

thanx

smegs 18:15 23 Sep 03

I don't know with the xp upgrade, but I have xphome full, & I can insert the disk & format & reinstall. have a look on the upgrade disk if thats what happens.

Jester2K II 18:29 23 Sep 03

With the upgrade disk you can do a full clean install but you need to put the original 98 CD in at one stage to prove you qualify.

Why not clean out as much as possible from the drive.

I believe once you have installed the upgrade over 98 you have an option to delete X Mb of Win98 data anyway...

alan 2273 18:44 23 Sep 03

I have just done a clean install with an upgrade disc, part of the way through it asked me for the 98Se disc after that it installed with no problems.
When this disc was used the first time I upgraded from 98Se and when it was finished I was given the option to remove 98Se.

Djohn 18:55 23 Sep 03

With the up-grade version of XP, you just insert the CD into your drive and either choose, Up-grade, or clean install. If you choose the latter, it will format and clean install to your drive. But! you will need a qualifying CD to do either of these options. The fact you have 98se on your drive will not count. XP will ask you to insert a qualifying CD in the drive before it ill install.

One way you can do it though is to borrow a 98 CD and use that, [With your product key] This is perfectly legal, You are only borrowing a piece of plastic. The Product key, you have already purchased with your pre-install of 98se. j.

woodchip 19:03 23 Sep 03

You can but if it's got a hidden partition and you clear it you will not be able to put 98 back on. Also it may contain Drivers for your Hardware

nar 14:10 24 Sep 03

is it worth deleting the old stuff and just leaving xp? i have recently built my own computer so i have all the drivers already. i dont have the 98e disk so if i was to delete everything and clean install it if it were to go wrong in the future and i wanted a system reset would i be able to use the xp upgrade disk or would i have to get the full program?

Djohn 14:14 24 Sep 03

To use your XP up-grade in the future, you will need the qualifying CD. 98 or upwards. j.

Djohn 14:18 24 Sep 03

Sorry, I should have said, If you do a format of your drive, then you will need the 98 CD, but if you just do a re-install to fix, or restore then no you will not be asked to insert a qualifying CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…