Hard drive interface question

If the interface on a hard drive is described
as ATA/100, is this compatible with EIDE?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on such a simple subject!!

hugh-265156 12:18 27 May 04

sometimes its refered to as one or the other but IDE and EIDE are the same thing.

integrated drive electronics and enhanced integrated drive electronics.

as far as i know anyway.i think the enhanced bit means an IDE interface capable of supporting more than one drive.as most of use with modern computers have.

i may be very wrong.

temp003 12:48 27 May 04

ATA-100 is an IDE interface. Yes, compatible.

Not that I can unravel the terminology, and it is certainly confusing. But I think ATA and IDE are the same thing. EIDE as a term is now seldom used. It was an improvement over the very original IDE interface, but now we just call them IDE.

The -100 part refers to the max theoretical speed of data transfer of the connection - 100MB/s. More accurately, it should be called DMA-100 or UDMA-100 (you can have DMA-33, 66, 100, and 133).

SANTOS7 14:40 27 May 04

IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics--or numerous other interpretations) and ATA (AT Attachment) are one and the same thing: a disk drive implementation designed to integrate the controller onto the drive itself, thereby reducing interface costs, and making firmware implementations easier. This low cost/easy integration created a boom in the disk drive industry, as PC integrators readily ate up the low-cost alternative. Since the late 80's, ATA (as it is properly called) has become the drive of choice for the cost inhibited buyer.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…