Hard Drive info:

23790954 14:08 10 Feb 07

Having built several systems, I have used only IDE hard drives, which have had to be formatted each time the hard drive is installed on a different make/model of motherboard, due to them not functioning correctly. As I am a bit long in the tooth (elderly) I just wondered if it was possible to purchase any make/model, interior/exterior of hard drive which is compatible with most systems thereby avoiding the necessity to format it when reinstalling it into a different system. Thanks for any advice given.
Silver Surfer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:10 10 Feb 07

Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

Totally-braindead 14:13 10 Feb 07

If I'm picking you up right you have the wrong end of the stick. Its not the make and model of hard drives that are the problem with changing motherboards etc. Its windows. Specifically the drivers windows needs for operating the motherboard. Change the motherboard and windows will need the drivers for the new motherboard, it will try to use the old ones and either fail or perhaps even load its own drivers and try them but they may not be the right ones. Subsequently the PC either won't run properly or will crash.

23790954 16:22 10 Feb 07

Many thanks Fruitbat and Totally-braindead. I very much appreciate your advice on this matter.
That is something else I've learned. Excellent advice from both of you, as I am always willing to learn about my hobby of computers.
Silver Surfer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now