Hard Drive Imminent failure(?)

Alien463 08:25 08 Sep 03

Hi.

I hope someone can help me.

I have a compaq presario 5000 model 5146ea internet pc with 512mb ram with a 60gb western digital harddrive.

I installed a second western digital 7200rpm caviar special edition 120gb hard drive last night, and decided to leave fdisking and partitioning until this morning.

Anyway: boot up this morning with the following error "1720 - hard drive detects imminent failure".

Not good. I download Data Lifeguard tools ver10 from the Wetsern Digital sites, and run the quick test on both the drives. My normal 60gb drive came up with no errors, but the newly installed one keeps coming up with a message telling me to contact WD technical support as a SMART error as occurred.

Checking over the data it gives, I found that the seek error rate of the drive has a value of 1, a thresh of 51, and a worst of 1!

Any help on the issue would be much appreciated. A drive failing less than 12 hours after install (from last night to this morning) is DEFINITELY not a good thing.

Thanks in advance,

Alien463

Jester2K II 08:33 08 Sep 03

Could just be a duff one from the factory.

I would contact WD or your retailer for replacement / refund / further tests.

Alien463 08:39 08 Sep 03

Tried to contact western digital, apparently european phone lines don't open until about 9:30.

I have to go out in about half an hour so I guess it'll have to wait until tonight.

Alien463

Philip2 12:41 08 Sep 03

I had a problem with a new WD hard drive and it was replaced you should have got a floppy with the drive unless it was a OEM try writing zero's to the drive this should be on the floppy or your download WD give good support.

Alien463 07:00 17 Sep 03

I'm currently trying to get a refund / replacement from Komplett, but according to them I have to go into the returns section on their website, which is currently down at the moment.

I will keep posting.

Thanks again,

Alien463

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant