Hard drive help required

mg10 12:47 26 Aug 09

Hello

I'm having problems with my hard drive, with it completely crashing every couple of months or so. Recovery doesn't work so i have to reformat it and start afresh. Is this likely to be a problem with the hardware or a software fault. If it is a hardware fault would simply replacing the hard drive be liekly to fix it or could other components be affecting it?

Thanks

rawprawn 13:45 26 Aug 09

Run CHKDSK click here
let us know the results.

woodchip 13:47 26 Aug 09

You may have a tick of faulty Memory

rawprawn 13:50 26 Aug 09

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

mg10 16:43 26 Aug 09

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've run CHKDSK and it seems to have got frozen (i've left it a couple of hours) during the verification of free space (stage 5).
The computer is making the same clicking sound it does when the harddisk has crashed.

Any suggestions on what this could mean?

Thanks

GaT7 16:47 26 Aug 09

"The computer is making the same clicking sound it does when the harddisk has crashed" - looks like the hard drive is on its way out. Get another & load your OS on that. Then connect the old drive as a secondary one & save data to the new one asap. G

mg10 11:21 02 Sep 09

Thanks for everyones suggestions and help.

I'm getting myself a new drive.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac