hard drive help needed

gayelston 20:35 13 Dec 14

I have an Acer5250 with a Samsung HN-M750MBB inside. I would like an SSD hard drive and am looking at a Seagate 500 GB Laptop 2.5" Internal SSHD. This hard drive is said to be made with the new, slimmer, laptops in mind. Does this mean it will be the wrong size for my laptop, or does the extra slimness not affect how it will sit in my laptop? Would it be suitable for my older laptop and safe for me to purchase? Thank you in advance for any help you can give Regards Gay Elston

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 13 Dec 14

new slim laptops have a tinner drive

however the drive should still fit in the adapter for your machine.

rdave13 21:11 13 Dec 14

Post the links for us and would give better info. 2.5" drives come as 12.5 mm and 9 mm and 7 mm slim drives. 12.5 mm I think are largely redundant but you never know. Remove the drive and measure the thickness.

Note an SSHD is a hybrid drive. Neither an SSD nor an ordinary Sata drive but a botch-up.

gayelston 21:24 13 Dec 14

When you say botch up do you mean not worth bothering with? Money is a difficulty at the moment and this drive came at a very good price. If it isnt worth buying though then it will become expensive! Thanks for both replies.

lotvic 21:49 13 Dec 14

Read pcadvisors article on SSHD ClickHere It's down to personal choice (I wouldn't bother with one, but that's just my choice)

wee eddie 22:18 13 Dec 14

Might one ask why you have decided to replace the Hard Drive? And what benefits do you expect to gain from replacing with an SSD or an SSHD?

rdave13 22:44 13 Dec 14

Acer5250, which model? What OS? If WIN 7 go for the neither here nor there hybrid drive. The ssd part of the drive will only be used as a cache and you will be able to boot slightly faster and some apps will load slightly quicker. But that is all.

Do you have problems with the OS as is? Is that why you are thinking along the lines of a new hard drive/SSD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…