Hard Drive Help

barryrs 23:58 29 Aug 07

I recently purchased a new PC and thought that i would simply be able to move my existing slave drive running on windows XP into the new machine running on vista.

My first problem was that the old hard drive is IDE and the new PC supports SATA so i purchased a converter and hey presto the computer has found and installed the drivers.

The big but is that when i try to access the info on the slave drive vista tells me it needs to format the drive and obviously i dont want to loose the data contained on it.

I decided to move the hard drive back to my old machine and move the data using my flash drive but now my old machine is saying it needs to format the drive too.

When i access my disk management the dive is listed but no file system is shown and the drive size is indicated as 31.5GB and not 160GB as it should be.

Can anyone help im tearing my hair out :o(

barryrs 18:59 30 Aug 07

Some good news.

Using Drive Rescue i have managed to retrieve all my photos (one of the most important things) and now when i try and access the drive instead of telling me it needs to be formatted it tells me

E:\ is not accessible

The parameter is incorrect

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 30 Aug 07

you need to fixx the master boot record of the drive.

is thre an option in drive rescue to fix mbr or fix boot sector?

DrScott 19:38 30 Aug 07

part of the problem is that your original HDD was formatted in FAT, whilst your 'new' HDD is formatted as NTFS. This shouldn't nec cause major headaches, but might be the reason Vista is not recognising it as a slave.

I would firstly check the BIOS to ensure the HDD is being detected correctly. Press delete (usually) when you first turn on the computer. It should be auto detected, and should say whether it's slave or master.

Now if all is fine with your BIOS, Vista should now be able to access E:.

It might also be worth using an external caddy. Or putting the drive back into your old system and formatting it into NTFS through XP.

skidzy 20:42 30 Aug 07

You should be able to access any files that maybe in Fat32 on Vista,however DrScott has pointed out,try using an external caddy or convert to NTFS...this is sound advice.

Also try changing the drive letter in disc management and reboot.

Im not positive,but if the drive is Fat32,i believe Vista can only read upto 32GB.

barryrs 09:19 03 Sep 07

All sorted now thanks to a programme called "Windows FAT Data Recovery software"

I ran the free demo version and it found all my files then purchased the full version for £35 so that I could save them onto my new hard drive.

Thanks for the help guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced