Hard Drive Help

Skuby 22:52 01 Jan 05

I have started doing some Video Editing & am running out of room on my drive (80Gb, 20Gb left).
I am going to buy another drive & use purely for the use of video editing but am undecided in staying with an IDE or going for a SCSI.
Is there a big performance difference between these two types & can anybody recommend a Hard Drive for this kind of work.

woodchip 22:57 01 Jan 05

No not with ATA drives, you just wasting money.

woodchip 22:58 01 Jan 05

PS you cannot boot from Scsi ether as EIDE comes first as boot drives

Skuby 23:06 01 Jan 05

Hi Woodchip, now you've confused me evenmore, what's an ATA Drive?

Not bothered about booting from this second drive as operating system staying on other drive

woodchip 23:15 01 Jan 05

It's a IDE as you call it but new faster drives. and believe it or not but both drives are the same, it's only the controller on the drive that is different. but EIDE ATA drives are just about as fast as Scsi, and a SATA will be as fast if not faster but you need a motherboard that supports them.

Skuby 23:22 01 Jan 05

So you recommend an ATA type drive and not a SCSI?

The size of the drive will around 250Gb

keith-236785 23:52 01 Jan 05

a SCSI drive is going to be more expensive, needs a motherboard which supports it or a PCI scsi card, the drives can run upto 10000 spin speed so ideally acces might be slightly faster but i doubt you would notice the difference.

in contrast an IDE hard drive spins at 7200 spin speed, has a bog standard interface compatible with ALL mobos, are cheaper and easier to find and setup, no drivers needed for them.

sata drives are simple enough to find and are just a few pounds more than IDE drives, but require a motherboard that supports them or a PCI SATA card, they also need drivers to be installed for the pc to recognise them. they run at 7200 spin speed but have a slightly faster transfer rate (150mb/s) compared to IDE drives (133mb/s)

take a look at click here or click here (to find sata drives, type SATA in the search box

good luck.

jg1990 00:00 02 Jan 05

there are one or two sata drives which run at 10000 rpm, so there's really no need for SCSI.

Regards, James

Skuby 00:17 02 Jan 05

Thanks Guys, all been great help.

Happy New Year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…