Hard drive, have i lost the plot?

Chronos 15:20 09 May 04

hi,if everything is on a hard drive that is needed to run a a PC, i have two in mine, just for back up, so it never gets used....would it work if it was just unplugged and put in my daughters PC, she has win95, and this is win98se.. thanks..

expertec 15:21 09 May 04

What is the file system and how big is the drive?

Chronos 15:26 09 May 04

mine is 30gb, and my daughters PC is a compaq with a 4gb drive...thanks both fat32,i think.

ste_bla 15:40 09 May 04

it would work okay as a second disk in the other pc

if you mean boot the other pc from that disk then prob. no due to different drivers/devices

Fruit Bat 15:48 09 May 04

How old is the compaq, 4g HD sounds quite old?

May not recognise HD over 20g or even as low as 8g without a BIOS upgrade. check compaq site for info and flash upgrade for BIOS

Chronos 15:49 09 May 04

thats that then, i was going to take her drive out and replace it with mine, a sort of upgrade.

thanks all..

Chronos 15:51 09 May 04

it was my old pc, so it must be about 6/7 years old..

Fruit Bat 15:57 09 May 04

Plug it in and see what happens, Still can be done if flash upgrade available on compaq web site. All you need to do is download software on to floppy disk boot fom floppy and run award? flash BIOS upgrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…