hard drive have i got this right

garabaldi 21:09 19 Apr 05

hello...ime installing a new maxtor hard drive which is bigger than 139gb so after installing windows XP and SP2 then i have to install maxtor enabler......is this correct?

bremner 21:36 19 Apr 05

With XP2 you should have no problem.

garabaldi 21:39 19 Apr 05

you mean if ime using windows xp and sp2 i should have no problem

woodchip 21:50 19 Apr 05

I would just use XP, do not use the Maxtore software unless as a last resort

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:52 19 Apr 05

One of the ways that software communicates with underlying hardware is through firmware included in the Basic Input Output System (BIOS) chip (the other is directly via drivers in Windows 2000 and XP). Some of this communication takes place as soon as the computer is turned on. One of the actions during this stage is reading files stored on the hard drive that are necessary to initialize the operating system. This hard drive access is handled through firmware code invoked by the interrupt 13. LBA mode enabled.

You don't really hear about this restriction with Windows 2000 or XP, though. Remember that for this functionality to work properly, you must have the right mix of firmware and software. An operating system cannot take advantage of the BIOS feature that does not exist in the BIOS in the first place. So be careful when installing Windows 2000 or XP on older PCs. Ensure that Int 13 Extensions are supported. If you don't see them available, try downloading a BIOS update from the motherboard manufacturer.

One way round the problem is to install "overlaty software" on the drive to fool the BIOS into recognising the drive as a smaller driver. THIS SOFTWARE MUST BE INSTALLED FIRST on a new drive.

Use maxblast to make a floppy with the software on then install the new drive, boot from the floppy to prepare the drive, Once prepared reboot with XP CD in drive and install XP to your new drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…