Hard drive has re named its self

Jarvo 18:40 26 Mar 05

I am running a laptop with two external usb hard drives connected by a usb hub. The first (E drive)is always on and used to store images, the second (F drive) is used for backups of both my C and E drives and only switched on for backup purposes. Both drives have set for optimal performance in the hard drive properties so they have to be ejected before removal.

So to my problem last night the bride switched off the power to the e drive before shutting down windows (thankfully no data lost) but now my E drive shows as F drive. Now all appears to be working OK apart from a few broken shortcuts but, if I cant get my drive to be recognised as E and my second drive as F it will make my current backups difficult to reinstall.

If anyone can help with this problem it would be much appreciated. I am running XP SP2 and have tried ejecting and connecting the drive but just comes back as F drive and system restore refuses to work

many thanks

Jarvo

DieSse 18:50 26 Mar 05

Go into the Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Managemant - and here you can redefine drive letters. I presume it will work on external devices the same as internal ones.

Fingees 19:29 26 Mar 05

if that doesn't work, connect e drive on it's own, then turn on computer , close down, add second drive. this is to make sure they are seen initially in the right order. after that they should be ok

Jarvo 10:31 27 Mar 05

DieSse & Fingees problem now solved via the disk management.

many thanks for you help

Jarvo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant