Hard drive full without reason

superjm 23:27 14 Mar 04

I have experienced a most unusual problem with my PC, I hope someone may be able to help.

My son tried to load "Bad Boys 2" and he was presented with a warning that the 'C 'drive was full. this seemed very odd as it is a 40 Gb drive with only approximately 10 Gb installed, including Windows, the other programmes and all stored files etc.

I looked at 'local disk properties' and sure enough it was showing 36.4 Gb used of a 37.2 Gb capacity drive. I only carried out a defrag a couple of days ago which I quite clearly remember confirmed about 75% free space.

I opened 'explore' and right clicked the 'local disk (C)' folder. Again, it confirmed that the drive was almost full. Next I right clicked on each of the sub-folders within the 'C' drive and all of these add up to approximately 10 Gb.

I am at a loss to understand how the sum total of a drive's folders can add up to the sort of figure I would expect and the drive itself to show a figure of four times this value. I don't know of any other way to 'view' the 'C' drive to try and find where this extra 30 Gb has suddenly come from and how to get rid of it.

I run Norton antivirus and keep it current with live updates, but could this problem be down to a virus that has slipped through?

My set-up (which has given excellent service for over two years) is as follows;

Dell dimension 4300, 1.7Ghz Pentium 4
40 Gb hard drive
256 Kb memory
Windows XP home addition

The Spires 23:42 14 Mar 04

You probably have some sort of a worm that fills your hard drive with junk. Do you have a Anti-Virus program that has been updated today? You can do a full scan for free click here

The Spires 23:44 14 Mar 04

Sorry I must have missed about Norton while reading your post, it's well worth doing a free scan at the Symantec site or click here

superjm 21:19 15 Mar 04

Thanks for the help Spires but I had already carried out a full scan with NAV and the virus definitions are right up-to-date. Still looking for an answer!

superjm 21:21 15 Mar 04

Thanks for the help Spires, but I had already carried out a full scan with NAV and the virus definitions are right up-to-date. Still looking for an answer!

The Spires 21:30 15 Mar 04

Give click here (CCleaner) a run, you may have accumulated some temp files during a crash.

superjm 23:21 15 Mar 04

Thanks once again Spires, but it turns out that you were right the first time. I was trying to find ways to 'explore' the C drive when, more by luck than skill, I noticed a file name that I did not recognise (Phile) which is a jfile, whatever that is. I did a search and uncovered 146 of the little so-and-sos, Phile 1. to Phile 146. , each axactly 200Mb long. This explains where my 30Gb of hard drive space went to. But interestingly, NAV did not stop it entering my system nor did it detect anything wrong during a full system scan. Thanks once again for your kind help and advice.

Mad Boy 23:35 15 Mar 04

jfiles are Javascript compiled files, which more than often are containing viruses too, these are accumulated on popups from some sites, usually crap warez sites etc. These popup even if you werent browsing for such things.

You goto click here and Download Ashampoo! Platinum Suite, run the demo and it will clear tons of Temp crap, redundant registry entries, cleans the drives and removes other accumulated shite gathered over your browsing sessions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…