Hard drive formatting with XP and raid.

ANDY-212408 15:25 30 May 05

I am trying to format my hard drive (due to problems and to have a tidy up) and am struggling. I have windows XP home and hard drives that are raid connected. I have followed previous advice given on the forum about formatting under XP but none mentions about what to do with raid. I believe this is what is giving me grief as when trying to format while booting from cd it tells me i have no hard drives.
Hope you can help me with an idiots guide. Shout if i've omitted info you need.

Yoda Knight 15:41 30 May 05

Do the hard drives show up in the BIOS ?

Number 7 16:23 30 May 05

Boot from the Win XP CD and you'll see this message at the bottom of the screen:

Press F6 if you need to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver.

The driver(s) you need to install should be on a floppy disk, or be on a CD that you can use to create the floppy disk.

When the drivers are loaded XP will "see" the drives.

ade.h 16:47 30 May 05

The process is slightly different for each brand and type of RAID chipset, but start by following Number 7's advice and then read this click here
It's not as complex as it at first may seem, so don't be put off. The guide that I have mentioned is very easy to follow and quite relevant to most RAID configurations.

ANDY-212408 15:56 31 May 05

i will try it out tonight sounds promising as i recall the F6 when i first tried. Hopefully that will be it and i won't be back on here.

Thanks Again

ANDY-212408 00:46 06 Jun 05

Thanks number 7 thats done the trick.
Just one further issue! On boot up now it gives me two options of windows xp to boot from. One is correct and the other seems to be a dead link or something. Has something happened in the bios that needs changing now. Hope you can help.

retep888 01:50 06 Jun 05

You said your problems were raid connected,that meant

you had two drives or more setup,am I right?

Was it a raid 0 or raid 1 setup?

Did you press F4 or Ctrl S or something similar

depending on the controller you used during the

bootup,did you go to the raid array and cancelled

it(delete),and created a new one before you

re-installed the OS?

ANDY-212408 03:02 06 Jun 05

Yes two drives now connected under raid 0.
F6 was used as above to install the driver then c: was formatted. Did not delete or create a new raid array before installing os? Is that where i've gone wrong?

selfbuild 07:17 06 Jun 05

Can you post your boot.ini

To find it, right click My Computer > Properties > Advance tab > Startup and Recovery box click settings and then click on Edit.

ANDY-212408 15:13 06 Jun 05

[boot loader]
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Number 7 20:27 06 Jun 05

From your Boot.ini, it seems Windows is installed correctly on the primary partition and there's a failed installation on another partition on the same physical drive.

I wouldn't worry about it, to have Windows stop asking you which install you want at startup, do the following:

Right click the My Computer icon, select Properties, and click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Remove the tick from "Time to display list of operating systems"

Windows will then just boot to the default installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…