Hard Drive Formatting & MS Outlook Diary

Abel 07:27 18 Feb 09

Firstly I have a 200 Gb hard drive which I've partitioned into 2 x 100Gb segments. Is it possible to format just one of these segments without interfering with the other?

Further, my MS Outlook diary has something like 10 years information in it, which I would hate to lose. Where can I find all the data on my hard drive to make a copy?

Thanks in advance!

Abie

mgmcc 08:27 18 Feb 09

Yes you do format a partition individually, without affecting other partitions on the drive.

Outlook stores your data in a .PST file. Do a search for files with that extension and copy them as a backup. Alternatively, from the "File" menu, select "Import & Export" which launches a wizard that will guide you through exporting your "Calendar" as a .PST file. If necessary, you can subsequently import this .PST file to restore your Calendar (as it stood at the time you exported it).

Abel 08:31 18 Feb 09

Thanks mgmcc, that seems quite straightforward. If I have any problems I'll be back.

Abel

mazuk 08:50 18 Feb 09

The two seperate partitions are totally seperate but reside on the same HDD and use the same read/write data head so you should have the option to format one. For example using my vista machine i have a C:\ which has my system data and essential apps on and a M:\ which i keep my pics and vids etc on if i formatted my M:\ it would simply clear it to unallocated space and wouldn't effect my main system partition.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017