Hard drive formatting help

Ridleyrider 11:26 18 Aug 04

I am trying to load Windows XP from the OEM boot disc to an empty hard drive.

It goes through Windows Set up and loads the files.

Then it examines the disk configuration and gives a list of partitions & unpartitioned space on the PC and the following is in a box

78160MB Disc 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi

(set up cannot access this disk)

I have the option to create a partition or delete a partition. Neither work and when I tried, it took me to another screen that said "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

There is also a lot technical info and letters/numbers.

Does the disk need formatting in order to load the OS?

I have done a bit of research and found Microsoft pages with Fdisk and FAT32 but I'm not sure what to do. Do I need to download these to a floppy? Where from? What is MS-DOS?

Any help put into laymans terms with clear instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Urotsukidoji 11:31 18 Aug 04

phone your computers tech support line for assistance, they should help you

Chegs ® 11:51 18 Aug 04

click here

Get a boot floppy from here,once you have a floppy(98se OEM)put the floppy into the drive and boot the PC from it.At the A:\ prompt type FORMAT C: It will warn you this removes all data,type "Y" and the format will take place.

Then retry running the setup XP again.If it returns the message "(set up cannot access this disk) " again,check you have the hdd set as "Primary Master" It should also be possible to do this with the XP CD.

Urotsukidoji: The PCA forum is here to SAVE folk from running up their phonebill calling "Support Desks"

Smegs 11:52 18 Aug 04

click here go halfway the page, " HOW TO GUIDES FOR WINDOWS XP".

bremner 12:05 18 Aug 04

Is the hard drive a SATA drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…