HARD DRIVE (FDISK)

denim dave 16:54 08 Feb 03

I have a pentium-2 400mhs- computer and just installed a new hard drive.(maxtor-40gb)but when I boot the system (windows98) and type(FDISK)to partition the drive it reads-(no fixed disks present) does this mean the hard drive is faulty.
or how do I partition the drive.???

GORAL 17:03 08 Feb 03

Is this a secondary hard drive or a solo replacement? I assume you have got to the Dos prompt using a boot disk, but have you had the BIOS recognize the new drive?

Dependant on your answer to my first question you need to set the new HDD as a Master or a Slave drive.

jazzypop 17:03 08 Feb 03

First, check whether the BIOS sees the drive - if not, check the jumper settings on the drive are set to master (if it is the only drive - slave if it is in addition to your existing drive), and that the IDE (ribbon) bale is connected the right way round, and firmly pushed in. The red stripe on the ribbon cable should be next to the power cable.

To enter the BIOS, watch carefully for a message that says 'press xxx to enter setup' (or similar wording). The most common keys to press are Del, F2, F12 or Esc. Once in the BIOS, set the drive to auto.

woodchip 17:06 08 Feb 03

Go into CMOS setup when starting your computer and detect the drives or se to LBA. Exit and save settings. Try a reboot

denim dave 12:39 09 Feb 03

thanks everyone for your advice much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…