is hard-drive faulty.?

lambo7 13:51 29 Aug 05

hi, I've had to format my hard-drive again cos my computer just keeps locking up when I use disk doctor or I run a scan disk.? it also locks up sometimes while running other programs....but I just can run scandisk or disk doctor.....PLEASE ADVISE..???
Steve

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:58 29 Aug 05

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

DieSse 14:00 29 Aug 05

You can get a full diagnostic program from the drive manufacturers site - some of the tests will destroy you data - so beware.

At least this should give you a good idea whether it's the drive or not.

It could be other problems, but you'll have to try and eliminate things one by one.

Another possible culprit - RAM - you can get several free RAM tests from the web, including click here and click here

Stuartli 14:05 29 Aug 05

I use Western Digital's DataLifeGuardNT.exe utility which reports on the health or otherwise of your hard drive (most of these diagnostic programs will work on most makes of hard drives).

WD has since changed this utility and it doesn't seem to be as good or even work in my case, so I've reverted back to the original DataLifeGuardNT (which is under 600kb).

If you wish I could e-mail a copy of it to you.

Stuartli 14:06 29 Aug 05

It's not the full diagnostic suite, just a utility to check the drive's health.

lambo7 14:09 29 Aug 05

thanks for the help, the only reason I thought it was the hard=drive was the fact it mainly freeze's when in scan disk or disk doctor.?

RiverQuai 14:31 29 Aug 05

I have had several probelms in recent weeks with hard drives freezing, etc. In my particular case it was down to a power cable that wasn't making good contact. Sometimes it is worth checking the white power plug (undo power cable first after sewitching off) and if the brass inner tubular sectionseem a bit loose, squeeze them in a bit using a small pair of pliars or small flat screwdriver - don't over do it and flatten them!
I found in my case this helped and stopped the freezing up problem.
Depending on which connector is loose it will either freeze up occasionally or the disk drive will not show up at boot time.
I thought at first it was a faulty drive, but sorting out the power plug cured both of these problems.
Hope this helps.

lambo7 17:02 30 Aug 05

thanks for all ya help, I done a memory test and that was fine, but yesterday afternoon my computer went down again so I've re-loaded XP for the 3rd time in a week.
I wouldn't mind a copy of that "DataLifeGuardNT" if ya don't mind......thanks
Steve

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 30 Aug 05

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast3 click here
Power defrag lite click here
Autodefrag click here

woodchip 17:21 30 Aug 05

Right shall I tell you what it is. It is a cobination of another program that is not letting Norton Defrag the drive. In my case it is a AV file link in Autoexec.bat that I had to Remark out so it does not run. as Disc Docter likes to lock the drive I use it on my Win98se desktop. Try using another Disc Defrag like Diskeeper click here

pk470 17:25 30 Aug 05

If you put a W98 or WME floppy in and choose without cd rom support on the A:\ prompt type fdisk and delete the none dos partition then reboot and reinstall WXP in the normal way.
If this doesn't resolve your problem then as already been stated you could have bigger problems.ALL DATA WILL BE LOST.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…