Hard drive failure query.

ashleycardwell94 21:05 14 Jan 11

I started my laptop earlier today and on start-up was told windows explorer "had to close". CTRL + ALT + DELETE brings up task manager so i clicked "file", "New Task (Run...)" typed in explorer.exe and my desktop popped back in to life.

I was asked to restart my laptop with automatic and i did so. Just before my laptop booted into windows i received a black screen with the following writing
--------------------------
"SMART failure predicted on hard disk 4: WDC3200BMVS-11F9SO-(S1)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure is imminent.

Press F1 to continue
--------------------------

why has this suddenly. I analysed the disk with
defragmenter, this revealed the usual 1%.

what caused it?

woodchip 21:20 14 Jan 11

Could be anything Bad Shut down or a knock of the Laptop etc or just plain failure

MAT ALAN 21:21 14 Jan 11

click here

You might want to read this...

woodchip 21:24 14 Jan 11

Could be anything Bad Shut down or a knock of the Laptop etc or just plain failure. If you only have a Restore CD then you need to clone the Drive to a New Drive in a External USB drive or create an Acronis Image to replace it all as a Restore disc depends on files on the old Hard Drive. If you let it go too long it will mean a new Hard Drive and Operating System Drivers and Software, and all your files will be gone

ashleycardwell94 21:30 14 Jan 11

i just had the BSOD. Laptop restarted, now "No operating system found"

In other words, pardon my French but im fucked.

rdave13 21:41 14 Jan 11

Bad French or not, your last post won't be pardoned and will be deleted.
Hopefully you backed up your docs, photos etc., so not much harn done.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 14 Jan 11

What op system?

If you can run check disk on the drive you may be able to recover it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…