hard drive failure problem?!

jvk 20:59 23 Jul 03

I have an old Pentium II twin 266MHz machine which now refuses to start up properly. Each time it goes through the Disk Testing for hard drives, it comes back with a Failure on Fixed Drive 0 message. I've changed the IDE ribbons and tried other hard drives but all with the same results. I know that the hard drive is OK because I insert into my new PC and it works without problems.

woodchip 21:18 23 Jul 03

Go into bios at start of computer, and auto detect drives. If there is a item that say's LBA make shure it's enabled

jvk 21:53 23 Jul 03

Nothing has changed there, as far as I can tell! CD Rom, HDD etc were all removed to go in a new PC. Now, they are to be reinstated in the original PC but it won't start! The BIOS settings are set to Auto and the drive shows as 8455 Mb. Bear in mind that this around 4-5 years old and the BIOS is pretty basic & dated. It is Phoenix BIOS which doesn't give too many things updatable in it, by comparison to today's!

DieSse 23:21 23 Jul 03

From your first post, i understand that the system was working fine, then for no apparent reason won't start.

Either the drive is not detected correctly - could be a faulty CMOS battery even - or the motherboard has failed.

I'm not sure how this relates to your second post, which seems to be a different story? Can you give us a more understandable account of what you have done, and what happened at each stage please.

jvk 01:14 24 Jul 03

System was working fine but bought a new PC and butchered the old one for parts. Have since replaced the parts but now it won't work. Some idiot (me!) used an incorrect drive ribbon cable to try to reconnect the hard drive and, apparently, managed to bend a pin, which as been straightened but, as you know, disk test fails during startup. The BIOS still recognises that there is a hard drive there but it will not start. I'm hoping that it isn;t a mobo problem since I have it on good authority that this PC isn't upgradeable, which is why I bought the new one in the first place! The plan was for the children to take over the old one for their homework projects. If it helps, it is a Digital PC5500 2 x PII 266MHz with 144Mb RAM running Win 98SE on a 40Gb Maxtor drive, using Maxtor's EZBIOS utility to recognise the size properly.

woodchip 14:46 24 Jul 03

Did you manage to straiten the pin OK without breaking it. It sounds like that is the problem or the Ribbon cable have you got the cable on the right way round the red edge wire goes next to the power on the Drive, and to number 1 pin on the EIDE plug

jvk 21:57 24 Jul 03

Yes, as far as I can tell, the pin has been straightened without breakage. Cable is also on the correct way round, as quoted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…