Hard drive failure or virus? Unable to boot up computer

Armchair 19:47 PM 07 Sep 11
Answered

I was online earlier, when a warning message from (I assumed) Microsoft Security Essentials popped up, something about a threat being detected, I clicked on it, and about a minute later my PC switched itself off. I haven't been able to get back on again. It gets to the screen listing all the hard drives, CD-ROM drives etc., and won't go any further.

I've had to remove the hard drive, and install my old slow one. I'm updating everything on it now (but I haven't been able to get a download for XP service pack 3, just the multiple computer one. Does that matter if I install it on one PC?). All the other components are working alright.

If it is a virus, any idea how to get the hard drive working again?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:29 PM 07 Sep 11

I suggest you make a bootable disk with anti virus and anti malware on then run from that.see here

Then possibly do a XP repair from the XP CD

Nontek 21:06 PM 07 Sep 11

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode? In safe mode you could run a full scan with MSE which should find and deal with any nasties.

robin_x 21:41 PM 07 Sep 11

Regarding the SP3, I had problems with other SP3 downloads till I tried it a few years back. It was fine for me. I was just a 'network of one'. Went in without fuss.

Compaq SR1619UK Tower Athlon 3200+ 512MB at the time.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24

Armchair 22:11 PM 07 Sep 11

1) I made a Kaspersky rescue disc, changed the boot preference to CD-ROM in BIOS, and it looked like it was working but only resulted in a load of lines and dots on the screen. I'll have a look at your suggestion tomorrow, Fruit Bat. I'm exhausted now! Been on about five hours with this tonight.

2) I can't get into to safe mode. The boot up sequence doesn't get far enough.

3) Thanks, Robin. I've downloaded the multi-PC one, and I'll install that tomorrow.

If worst comes to the worst, and I can't get it to work again, I might just buy another hard drive. Not many IDE ones about, but I don't fancy making do with this old 5400 RPM, 1MB one.

robin_x 22:34 PM 07 Sep 11

My 6yr old desktop is still in use albeit with an extra 2GB memory and W7 these days.

I bought an IDE/SATA converter (which worked fine) when I put an extra HDD in.

Also noticed while I was buggering around that the motherboard had two SATA headers on it anyway. Doh.

I used one of the Iomax converters. Cheap and cheerful. I think it came with the necessary adapter cables.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nbsbssi0_10?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=wd+tv+live&sprefix=wd+tv+live

Have fun tomorrow.

robin_x 22:36 PM 07 Sep 11
  PSF 22:40 PM 07 Sep 11
  Armchair 12:27 PM 08 Sep 11

I booted up from the BitDefender rescue disc, and ran the (up to date) anti-virus built into it. It found and disenfected three items, one of which was the kazy virus. I removed the rescue disc, re-set BIOS to boot from the hard drive, but it still doesn't work. Same as before, gets to the screen listing hard drives etc., and that's it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:00 PM 08 Sep 11

Disconnect our drives one at a time and see if it will boot or go to an error message.

Armchair 20:22 PM 08 Sep 11

Update:- No further forward. I cannot boot from, or gain access to, the hard drive. As I said, the Bitdefender rescue disc scanned and removed the virus/trojans that are PROBABLY the cause, but the hard drive still won't work.

If it is the kazy virus to blame, maybe I need another way to get rid of it. There is supposed to be a removal tool available, but I don't know how to actually get it to the hard drive.

Btw, is there any way I can just format the hard drive? I wouldn't mind wiping it and starting from scratch. Unfortunately, whatever the Administrator Password was is long gone, so I haven't been able to use the Windows XP product recovery CD-ROM.

I actually comtemplated buying a new desktop PC earlier on, but I've decided to stick with this one.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…