Hard drive failure or BIOS oddity?

ibseeking 03:50 22 Dec 07

I started this in another thread (click here) but was suggested to start a new thread. So here goes.

Had problems with intermittent hard drive problems with 2 250GB WD HDD (corrupt MBR, Partition tables, bad sectors, ...) until they wouldn't work anymore. Before the HDD would crap out, I would be able to reboot the computer if the hard drives were "warmed up". But if the computer had been turned off for any length of time it would give me a Disk error on boot. I would leave the computer on for 15 minutes reboot and everything would be OK. But now the BIOS is givin me some very weird behavior. See click here

HDD was recognised in BIOS however not right serial number or model. Unplugged hard drive and installed in external enclosure and was recognised as RAW HDD. Used TestDisk (great little utility BTW!) to rebuild partition and MBR. Was recognised in external enclosure without problems and able to access files. Backed up the HDD then put back in to computer and same weird BIOS behavior appears (see image). Tried with another HDD, changed IDE cables, same result. So I am wondering, is it a problem with IDE controller, CMOS battery, Motherboard, etc. What should be my next step? I've already tried to find info by googleing however it like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Thanks in advance for any help.

BTW when I try booting from WIN XP disk it says "Non-system disk or disk error" and progs on Hirem's don't recognise HDD.

skidzy 08:59 22 Dec 07

Have you changed the CMOS battery ?

Also maybe a reset bios to default settings may help here.

To me its looks like a corrupt bios.Have you looked for an updated bios ?

Though be careful,as updating the bios could render the machine useless.

Make sure the bios update comes from the correct source if you go down this route.

User-312386 09:33 22 Dec 07

Could be not enough power from PSU

skidzy 09:45 22 Dec 07

Not sure if Imageshack is down,but i cannot get to see your link in Firefox or IE7.

Others may confirm this,or i have a small problem my end.

skidzy 09:48 22 Dec 07

" BTW when I try booting from WIN XP disk it says "Non-system disk or disk error" and progs on Hirem's don't recognise HDD. "

click here

petter.smith12 09:56 22 Dec 07

Many people have thought, especially when they experience a catastrophic data loss that a hard disk drive failure can’t happen to something that hasn’t last for 15 years or so. They believe that hard disk drives are impossible to break down, thus the physical hard drive crash problem is not something they expect. The truth of the matter is, today’s hard disk drives run fast, run hot, and as a result can break. There is simply nothing you can do to avoid it. But, there is a best way to save yourself money in situation where a hard disk drive data recovery is necessary – back up your data.

But, what if you did not back up your data and your drive?

The solution for that is so simple – consider a hard disk drive data recovery service.

Petter Smith
click here

skidzy 10:01 22 Dec 07

Here we go again..the spammer is back !!!

ibseeking
ignore the post @ Sat, [email protected]:56

I think the FE will deal with this sooner than later !!

ibseeking 11:12 22 Dec 07

Thanks skidzy and madboy33

I guess this is what I'll be trying today:

I'll start by trying to reset the BIOS (althought I had already tried that before) and then updating the BIOS. If that doesn't work would replacing the BIOS chip be the next step? Would it be a viable alternative? Then I guess the next step would be to change the PSU. Madboy33, is there a way of testing the PSU before replacing it? Then if still no joy would the next step be replacing the motherboard? Anything else I should try?

I'll check back later to give an update!

ibseeking 11:18 22 Dec 07

BTW Skidzy, I was unable to connect to Imageshack with IE7. They must be down.

ibseeking 04:07 23 Dec 07

Just to let everyone know that I finally solved the problem thanks to everybody's help. It would seem that the problems were due to a faulty IDE cable. I had tried another IDE cable the I ahd lying around to check to see if that was the problem but I guess the reason that IDE cable was lying around was because IT WAS FAULTY TOO! Anyways I ripped out a third cable from a second computer that was working and TADA everything was back to normal. However, it ended up corrputing the info in the MBR and the Partiton table and the OS which ended up causing problems with the other peripherals. I ended up having to rebuild the partition table and the MBR on the hard drive, flash the BIOS and reinstall Win XP. But everything is up and running and I didn't lose a file or a motherboard. (I did have a backup but it's still better to not have lost anything!).

Anyways thanks to all who responded. The suggestions were appreciated.

User-312386 07:59 23 Dec 07

good to see its all done and fixed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…