Hard-drive failure - access to files?

cotom 18:59 22 Jul 05

My sons computer (P3 with XP SP2) has had an inexplicable failure (it wont boot 'safe' or otherwise) beyond the XP splash screen. It is also making a strange clicking sound. I tried to restart through 'restore last working setting' but it wouldnt move beyond 34% of the disk scan and most files were coming up 'unreadable'. His biggest issue is his collection of photos on the disk. So I removed the drive and 'slaved' it on to my own machine to at least get access to files for copying. Unfortunately, in his 'documents and settings' file it comes up 'Access Denied'. I presume this was because the files were within his own user settings folder which had a password entry and I cannot get around that on my machine.

Any ideas either on a fix for his machine or how to get the files of the disk?

VoG II 19:03 22 Jul 05

You need to take ownership click here

woodchip 19:15 22 Jul 05

Not necessarily a drive failure, the OS may just be corrupt or MBR may be corrupt. Due to bad shut down or something else

cotom 19:31 22 Jul 05

Thanks VoG, worked perfectly... much obliged!

cotom 19:34 22 Jul 05

Thanks Woodchip. I considered that but I cannot even get my windows disk to boot to repair the mbr. Now (thanks to VoG) I have rescued the data he wanted I will try formatting the disc from my computer and putting it back into the other machine and try then to restore the OS with the XP disk.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…