Hard drive failure

fridgy 06:30 02 Jan 08

My PC started to randomly switch off, checked all leads and plugs and it appeared to stabilise but took ages to boot and go to a desk top. I am running VISTA home premium and decided to format the hard drive and re install XP.
I tried to format using the XP disc but at the end of formating i got the message that windows was unable to complete the format due to a possible faulty HD.
I have used Seagates Seatools to test the HD and this came back as ok.
I then used seatools to clean the HD and prepare it for mounting windows, this worked ok.
Then ran XP set up to format the disc and got same error message.
Do you think the HD is dead or have I got another problem?

€dstowe 07:46 02 Jan 08

Random switching off is, more often than not, due to overheating of the CPU.

During installation procedures, the CPU is working particularly hard, thus heating up. It may be that this is sufficient to cause the install to fail. I appreciate that this doesn't correspond to the messages you are getting about the install failure but, as there is no operating system fully installed these messages may not tell the truth.

Diemmess 09:43 02 Jan 08

In addition to €dstowe's suggestion, it is possible that the PSU is going home.

One of the ways that the PSU can fail is to allow the voltage on the power output to fall below the critical point.

Average mortals can't check this except by substitution, and need have a spare one to try...... or a friendly computer repair business to check it for you.

fridgy 20:05 06 Jan 08

Turned out that the PSU was at fault, this had also popped the MOBO, New ones installed plus a 200 G HD (new PC) all ok now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…