Hard Drive Failure

Audeal 18:24 17 Aug 03

When my daughter came home from her weeks Holiday and turned on her computer, it was completely dead. When the hard drive is disconnected the computer will light up as normal. When the drive is reconnected the comp is dead again.

If the drive is put into another computer then that computer is dead as well. Can anybody tell me why this should be. She is using XP Pro.

Can this drive be saved from the scrap-man.? Any help would be gratefully excepted.

seedie 18:33 17 Aug 03

If there is important data on the drive you will need to get a new one and install it as the master with a sytem on it. Put the old one (faulty)wrapped in cling film in the freezer overnight and install it as slave. If you're quick you'll probably be able to transfer data to the master before the slave warms up.

Audeal 18:41 17 Aug 03

seedie, Thanks for your quick reply. Will this method allow her to access the drive as it seems to have complestly failed? She has all her photographs on it and wants to save them.

Stuartli 18:46 17 Aug 03

The point is to get the data off the duff drive as quickly and reliably as possible on to a new drive - by doing that you will, hopefully, have saved whatever was on the original...:-)

If you try and use it before transferring the data you are more than likely to lose it all.

seedie is trying to help you prevent that misfortune.

seedie 18:47 17 Aug 03

Yes if she's lucky. look in google for 200 ways to revive a hard drive.

It seems ludicrous but it works apparently.

good luck

Audeal 18:54 17 Aug 03

seedie & Stuartli. Many thanks for the information. My Son-inlaw says he has heard of this working and will give it a go. They offer their thanks to you both. Audeal.

seedie 18:58 17 Aug 03

we would love to hear how you get on with this.

please post back one way or t'other

Audeal 19:02 17 Aug 03

seedie. Will do so tomorrow or when it is done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…