Hard drive fail - restoration advice

tundra 12:07 05 Jan 10

The hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250G) has failed without warning on my XP PC. I have a recent backup with Norton Ghost but not sure if it's a full 'carbon copy' with complete OS. I'm now using a Vista PC but would really like to restore the XP machine (which was working perfectly) to move on. My main priority is to recover email (OE) but I'm told that OE doesn't work on Vista. Any advice on how to progress would be appreciated.

OTT_Buzzard 13:21 05 Jan 10

I don't know the Norton Ghost software, but if you set it to do a full drive clone then you should be able to restore from it.

Although OE isn't supported in Vista, its replacement, Windows Live Mail, is. You can import all of your old emails from XP once you've got a drive to put into the PC.

tundra 12:41 10 May 10

Thanks for the advice but Norton Ghost apparenty will not 'restore' to any other hard drive except the original - which is now dead although I can see the 'volume' via an external IDE/USB device though the Vista PC. How can I format a new IDE drive to restore the old PC and XP and recover the emails?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:32 10 May 10

On the drive image gui(general user interface)select restore image

browse to \\.\disk1.part1 RECOVERY and select the PQ folder now on the left you will see FACTORY.PQI highlight it and select ok
the next part of the process should be to choose the destination of where you want to recover the drive to.

You should be able to select the new disk

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:34 10 May 10

On the drive image gui(general user interface)select restore image

browse to \\.\disk1.part1 RECOVERY and select the PQ folder now on the left you will see FACTORY.PQI highlight it and select ok
the next part of the process should be to choose the destination of where you want to recover the drive to.

You should be able to select the new disk

try the tutorial click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced