Hard Drive Errors - Vista Home

simmo07 14:11 22 Dec 07

I keep getting errors on my hard disk (even after format and clean install of vista home). System mechanic reports errors and asks for restart. after restart it seems to run ChkDsk (its a 5 stage process which takes around 35mins).

I then boot the pc again still with errors. How can i remove them for good, and how am i getting them? They were gone before then i installed OfficeXP and they back.

Cheers

simmo07 16:32 25 Dec 07

Every so often chkdsk fixes it but then they come back. is it vista or my hard drive? and would you say its worth going back to XP Pro SP2 or stay with vista home?

Cheers, also should i be worried with the errors, still dont know why or how i get them. im only installing call of duty 4 and listening to music

rawprawn 16:48 25 Dec 07

It is possible that your Hard drive has errors that can't be fixed. Try using Vista CHKDSK instead of starting with System Mechanic. Open the command prompt (Right click choose Run as administrator) At the Prompt type chckdsk /f When it is finished it will tell you if errors could not be fixed and give the location of a log.

rawprawn 16:50 25 Dec 07

Sorry that should read Type chkdsk /f

simmo07 21:40 25 Dec 07

ok i ran chkdsk /f and only took 2 mins rather then the previous 35+ min wait. System mechanic shows no errors, now defragmenting the hard disk. where is the chkdsk log file located?

Also i can expect more errors as this has removed errors before then somehow (im mystified) they come back.

cheers

rawprawn 09:30 26 Dec 07

click here

I can't say whether you will get any more errors, but I would stop using System mechanic chkdsk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced