Hard Drive Error??

poogles_uk 18:09 31 Dec 04

In the system event viewer, Yesterday from 17:31:41 til 18:43:24, same error message in event viewer every 3-4 seconds. It usually happens once every few hours. I believe i was defragging at that time, however, it happens when i am not defragging. There is no pattern to the errors, for that reason it would be hard for me to try running the pc with say 1 particular drive removed, as i dont know how often the errors occur. However, while i ran defrag this morning i did get 1 error. Checking SMART in speedfan now and then showed the drives to be fine, in fitness and preformance.

'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\D.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at click here.'

When that link is clicked, it takes me to a windows help page saying that there probably a problem with the cable.

I assume that it means that it is harddisk3 on partition D?. In Computer management, the hard drive that holds partition D, is disk 0.

I used to get this on my old primary hard drive, which is now my backup drive. This was on IDE channel 1, and still is, but the new drive is on SATA-1. I have now a new motherboard, and have re-installed windows xp. On the old mobo, it was also on \D.

When i had this problem with the old drive, i took it back to CCl, whom couldn't find any problems with it. But now im getting the same error on a different hard drive completely, on a different motherboard.

In Comp management 'disk 3' is my cfc drive, but has the letter J.

poogles_uk 18:16 31 Dec 04

This is what i get from the link - it was the same before with the other drive having d: on it

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 11
Source: Disk
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Knowledge Base articles
You can find additional information on this topic in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
• "Stop 0x000000A5 the ACPI BIOS in the system is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification" error message when the computer resumes from hibernation
You may experience any one of the following symptoms: Your computer automatically restarts. After you log on, you receive the following error message: Microsoft Windows The system has recovered from a serious error. A log of this error has been...
• How to troubleshoot error messages about Event ID 9 and Event ID 11
This article describes troubleshooting methods that you can use if information similar to the following examples is recorded in the system log. Event ID: 9 Source: Aic78xx Description: The device, \Device\ScsiPort0, did not respond within the...
• List of Event IDs for the Routing and Remote Access Service
This article contains a list of the Routing and Remote Access service event IDs as they appear in the Event Viewer system log. Note Routing and Remote Access event IDs have RemoteAccess listed as the source. The ID numbers start with a base number...
• How to Troubleshoot Issues with the User State Migration Tool and the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
This article provides information to help you to troubleshoot issues with the User State Migration Tool (USMT) and the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FSTW). To help you to troubleshoot issues with USMT or FSTW: Note that the USMT tools only...
• Error Messages When You Open or Copy Network Files on Windows XP SP1 Clients That Require SMB Signing
Client computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and that are configured to require Server Message Block (SMB) signing may drop SMB signing and may have problems communicating over your network. For example, you may experience any...
• How to troubleshoot registry corruption issues
This article describes how to troubleshoot registry corruption issues. If your computer does not restart, the registry hives may be corrupted. The error messages may vary. They can include any of the following: Windows could not start because the...
• List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
Lists the fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 2.
• Categorized List of Fixes in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3)
Categorized List of Fixes in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3)

ACOLYTE 18:20 31 Dec 04

I would say that the IDE cadle or drive,or controller is faulty or on it way to be so and you recieved a warning,but im no expert.if you have just changed drives or cables make sure you connected then ok.

Dorsai 18:41 31 Dec 04

From what i can gather HDD numbers Start at 0 (Zero), and count from Primary Master (0), Primary Slave (1), Secondary Master (2), secondary slave (3), then move on to raid arrays (at which point it gets to complicated for me to understand fully).

If a drive is not fitted, it's not included in the count.

So if you have a Pri MA, a sec Sl, but no Pri SL & no Sec MA, the Primary Master would be HDD 0, and secondary slave would be HDD 1. The numbering pays no attention to partitioning, and just refers to actual hardware.

HDD 3 on a system with 4 HDD's and no raid, would be the secondary slave.

Hope this helps.

poogles_uk 19:42 31 Dec 04

The mobo has 2 ide channels, and 2 sata channels.

It could be the cable as its the same one..

Except that would be hdd 0 for the old drive and hdd 4 for the new sata..

poogles_uk 08:45 04 Jan 05

If it does move onto the next number if drives are missing, then harddrive2 would be my new drive (and /d refers to the partition), with a clean windows installation on, on a new sata cable. Then it seems very strange that the same error came up with the old drive, and the new one, on the same partition. I will try however new cables. It just seems very strange that on a brand new motherboard, with a brand new sata drive, that i get the same error on the new drive on the same partition...

poogles_uk 18:52 25 Jan 05

I have tried replacing the S-ATA cable, with no luck. In partition magic Drive 2 is my S-ATA drive. So this problem is rather confusing, as it was the same on a different main hard drive on a different motherboard. Anyone any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…