Hard drive enclosure not recognised

Myrddyn 19:13 17 Feb 06

I have just bought a hard drive enclosure for a laptop HDD runing 98se. Niether my new laptop or my PC recognise it. I wish to transfer work from my old laptop which has no floppy or usb. Is the case faulty or have I done something wrong?

woodchip 19:20 17 Feb 06

The drive as to be setup so you can use it. If you have a XP computer plug the drive in, right click My Computer choose Manage\Disc Management Set the drive up for Fat32 so you can see it in 98se

Myrddyn 20:13 17 Feb 06

Did what you said. I have xp but there is only back up boot and recovery drives listed. The 98 drive isn't there even though i have a green light on the actual drive.

Totally-braindead 20:19 17 Feb 06

Did you make sure the jumper on the hard drive was set to master.

Myrddyn 20:38 17 Feb 06

How do I do that, what does it look like.

Totally-braindead 20:43 17 Feb 06

These are what the jumpers look like click here note that this is for the Seagate, if you look on the outside of the hard drive it should tell you where to put the jumper. The jumpers are just a little bit if metal couted in plastic to connect two of the pins on the back of the drive.

Totally-braindead 20:45 17 Feb 06

Meant to say coated in plastic, heres a photo click here

Myrddyn 02:25 22 Feb 06

Tried the jumpers in every position, still no go. I have a green light and can even here the drive running but the PC doesn't know its there. I've come to the conclusion I've bought a dud.

€dstowe 07:41 22 Feb 06

Ensure that both the power and the IDE plugs are fully pushed home in the drive.

Bagsey 10:31 22 Feb 06

^

ami 17:48 22 Feb 06

Try this thread for information
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced