Hard drive doesnt show in my computer

winstonwolf 13:57 09 May 04

Hi , i had 2 hard drives , 1x60gb and 1 x 40gb , i've replaced the 40gb with a 160gb. when i booted up windows xp found new hardware and my drive shows up in device manager as working but doesnt show in my computer, just the original 60gb. any ideas ? the old drive was set as slave so i set jumpers on new drive as slave also.

LastChip 14:17 09 May 04
  winstonwolf 14:20 09 May 04

No , i havent ever installed that

powerless 14:22 09 May 04

Start, run, type:

Right click Disk1, choose Initialise.

Right click the black line next to Disk1 and choose New Partition and follow the wizard.

As the Drive is 160GB you will need SP1 for XP to recognise its size correctly.

For the drive to be seen in My computer a partiton has to be created but not necessarily formatted.

Djohn 14:23 09 May 04

Right click "My Computer" Icon choose manage/disk management. Right click on your new drive in right-hand pane of the window that opens. Choose partition, partition as you wish or select the whole drive then format. It will take around 1 hour to format but is then ready for use and will show in "My Computer"

If you feel that the drive will have no bad sectors because it's new, choose quick format and it will be done in about 30 seconds. j.

winstonwolf 14:45 09 May 04

Dam u guys are good :) thanks

powerless 22:34 09 May 04

We sure are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…