//some 3rd party need geo

Hard drive doesn't appear in My computer

bluenet 19:32 16 Mar 04

Ive just installed a second hard drive but there isnt an icon in My computer for it so i cant use it.
Im using XP and ive tried the "add new hardware wizard", ive updated the drivers and ive set the hard drive jumpers to slave.
It works i just cant get at the hard drive to use it.

Help please.

hard drive: western digital Caviar UDMA100

Mikè 19:38 16 Mar 04

Is it detected in bios?

mgmcc 19:39 16 Mar 04

Does it perhaps need to be enabled in the BIOS?

If you right click "My Computer", select "Manage" and then "Disk Management" does the new drive appear? If so, you may be able to allocate a drive letter to it and/or format it.

bluenet 19:44 16 Mar 04

It is there but it says its unknown, not initialized and unallocated. What does that mean? what do i do?

Djohn 19:44 16 Mar 04

Right click your "My Computer Icon" choose "Manage" then disk management. You will now see your second drive select it and right click in the right hand pane, choose "Format". XP will format the disk and it will now show in your "My Computer" and be ready for use

lezw 19:44 16 Mar 04

hi
try control panel-perfomance and maintenance-admin tools -computer managment-storage - disc manager this allows you to set partittions and chang drive paths ect.

Djohn 19:46 16 Mar 04

I forgot to refresh my page before posting and didn't see your post. :o(

bluenet 19:56 16 Mar 04

i right clicked in the right panel but there is an option called format.

bluenet 19:58 16 Mar 04

sorry there isnt a format option.

mgmcc 20:07 16 Mar 04

If you have a Win 98 boot floppy, you could use fdisk to partition and format it as FAT32. Then, hopefully, XP will recognise it and, if you wanted, you could then convert the drive from FAT32 to NTFS.

bluenet 20:10 16 Mar 04

i dont have one of those. what will partitioning the drive do?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…