Hard drive docking station

Spock999 15:28 23 Jun 11

Having just had a computer failure, I expect to have some hard drives that I need to get my data off. I don't really want to by a permanaent enclosure but something which I can just plug them in to process them in turn.

I have thought about this before but many of the ones in online stores have very mixed reviews. What is the experience out there?

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 23 Jun 11

Type of hard drives, PATA (IDE) or SATA?

Spock999 15:49 23 Jun 11

SATA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 23 Jun 11

I use an adaptor cable simular to here 2nd down mines called R driver III but I can't find a UK supplier for it now, bought mine for £7 from a computer fair.

Spock999 16:57 23 Jun 11

That looks like a very good idea thanks.

Part of what I was thinking was that the docking station would allow me to use the drives afterwards for backup or something.

Previously when systems have failed I have been left with drives of around 200Mb which are a bit small these days but these are 600-750Gb and potentially useful.

gengiscant 17:03 23 Jun 11

I have something like this: Adapter

ICF 17:19 23 Jun 11

Like THIS

Spock999 17:26 23 Jun 11

Yes ICF. Those are what I have seen but reviews seem to vary from wonderful to it blew up within 2 seconds of powering it up.

Quality seems a bit variable!

While the docking staton looks like a good idea, it needs to be reliable. I would rather go with Fruit Bat's suggestion if I can't trust it.

Strawballs 22:45 23 Jun 11

When you say failure what happened?

Spock999 23:52 23 Jun 11

System froze & wouldn't reboot. I tried to boot from a CD but that wouldn't work either. Power comes on but there is no effect apart from an initial click.

I would think that if it was the boot disc that had failed booting from the recovery CD would work (XP) so it looks like something more serious & difficult to recover from.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch the Superbowl 2016 online in the UK: Broncos vs Panthers live plus Coldplay halftime…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…