Hard drive dilemma - please help

Bilboshy 22:15 28 Mar 16

Daughter bought a Zoostorm PC from ebuyer over a year ago. Now after warranty period has ended, the hard drive has developed a fault and no longer boots up. Was told to download Windows 7 but unable to because original was pre-installed. Could buy recovery disc from Zoostorm. PC never came with disc so assuming there's a hidden partition on hard drive.

Because Windows came pre-installed and PC is out of warranty, I would be stuck if I was to buy a new hard drive. The product key won't work if I try to download a copy.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Zoostorm are very unhelpful. Thankyou.

Svol 22:46 28 Mar 16

What message displays when the system fails to bootup?

Bilboshy 23:02 28 Mar 16

Windows has has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurrred.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:15 28 Mar 16

The product key won't work if I try to download a copy?

you need to make sure you have the same as was install i.e windows 7 home premium 32bit

or windows 7 home premium 64bit

either way if the drive is badly failed you will need a new one

if the drive can be seen in BIOS and you can boot from the DVD tap F* as it boot go to advanced tools menu and run command prompt - type

chkdsk /f/r

press enter

when completed see if you can boot without the DVD.

Bilboshy 23:23 28 Mar 16

Tried to download and typed in the product key from sticker on PC and I get this error message:

The product key you've entered appears to be for software which was pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

BRYNIT 00:08 29 Mar 16

After a little search this error could be due to hard drive failure, corrupt files or even a virus.

Have a look at this Youtube video it has about 8 items you could try to fix a 0xc00000e9 error. Note it is slow to allow you to read it.

Most computers came with a recovery partition and using a F key to recover the computer to factory default. If your lucky and the problem has not corrupted the recovery program and is not due to hard drive failure you may be able to restore the computer to factory default settings.

Bilboshy 00:16 29 Mar 16

Many thanks. Will give it a try tomorrow.

rdave13 04:22 29 Mar 16

Have you moved the PC lately? It could be something as simple as a bad sata cable connection.

Bilboshy 21:23 29 Mar 16

It appears the hard drive has failed. New drive on order. Thanks guys.

lotvic 00:28 30 Mar 16

You can d/load your version of W7 from www.getintopc.com (no need to enter a product key to be able to d/load) and use the product key from your sticker on your Zoostorm to activate it. You will prob have to do the telephone activate option, so during the install skip the page where it asks for product key and the trial version will install. After install finishes you can put your product key in and activate. I suggest using the Dell oem .iso and burn to a DVD with something like the free Imgburn program. (Note: any software from that site does not come with a product key - you have to use your own)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…