Hard Drive Deteriorating

YinHoNg 11:29 29 Apr 04

My girlfriend has apple laptop that she bought a few years ago. Last night when she tried to open the computer, it wouldn't load up and instead it came up with a question mark saying that a file is missing. I don't have any specifics yet.

She called the apple company to try and get it fixed because this problem had occured before and has been fixed before. But the technician said that hard drives deteriorate throughout the years and she'll have to get a new one or replace it. She has EXTREMELY important work that was left on the computer. SHe tried to back them up before this happened but they wouldn't fit and she never thought that this problem would come up.

She has installed a new operating system, apple, because she was told that her work might still come up on the new os. But although the folders that used to contain her work came up, the actual files are missing.

Is there ANY way that she can retrieve these files?

MichelleC 11:40 29 Apr 04

There used to be a very good data retrieval prog specifically for Macs which I used 15 years ago, but can't recall the name. I don't know if these will help for Macs click here click here click here

YinHoNg 12:27 29 Apr 04

The work has now been found but my girlfriend now thinks it may be her printer that is conflicting with the computer. She remembers that just before the problem occured, the printer icon on the computer had a X over it..........

She still needs to do work on the computer and she's scared to turn it off just in case it does't turn on again. She also needs to use the printer again to print out some work but she's scared that the problem will also arise again.

Has anybody experienced this before or can offer some useful help or advice?

YinHoNg 12:27 29 Apr 04

The work has now been found but my girlfriend now thinks it may be her printer that is conflicting with the computer. She remembers that just before the problem occured, the printer icon on the computer had a X over it..........

She still needs to do work on the computer and she's scared to turn it off just in case it does't turn on again. She also needs to use the printer again to print out some work but she's scared that the problem will also arise again.

Has anybody experienced this before or can offer some useful help or advice?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…