Hard Drive Data Destruction

lochy 18:36 02 May 07

I returned my hard drive 8 months ago as it was knackered and under warranty to the maker.I phoned them the other day and was told my data on the old hard drive was definately destroyed as per compamy policy.They could not tell me if my hard drive was also destroyed or if it was refurbished.Can somebody please tell me what machine is used to erase data from hard drives sent back under warranty?

Many thanks to anybody who replies.

rodriguez 18:45 02 May 07

You can get computer programs (such as Killdisk (click here) but the best way to make sure data is destroyed and unrecoverable? Smash it to bits - in my old job, we used to get police computers come in and we had to take out the hard drives and break them up before we threw them in the scrap. This is probably what the company did to you drive - as long as they're telling the truth and didn't just do a low-level format and sell it on.

lochy 22:29 02 May 07

Many thanks for your reply Rodriguez.The company dealing with my hard drive are a reputable company and on their website they do state that they do erase all hard drives of all data be it for repair or warranty.When I phoned, the guy on the phone said that they treat the matter of customers data on hard drives most seriously and that all data is destroyed and after they do that they also state that they dissemble the hard drive to find out if it can be used for refurbshment.It has been 8 months since I sent it back to them so I am sure that I can trust them,but as you say the drive is better smashed to bits but as it was under warranty the engineer took it back with him.The hard drive I got in its place I dont know if it was brand new or refurbished.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac