hard drive damaged by spike surge

1973scotty 09:46 13 Dec 03

hi my sisters pc was damaged bu a spike surge the man she bought the pc from diod not supply a sugre protecter. her pc would not start nd we have found out thart her motherborad is needs replaccing. is ot possible to get the the memoerey back from the harddrive. please help
scott

powerless 09:51 13 Dec 03

Maybe, you'll just have to connect it up and see what she reveals.

Diodorus Siculus 10:10 13 Dec 03

Do you mean the data on the hard disk? If so, then you can connect it as a slave to another pc and perhaps be able to read it that way.

1973scotty 10:26 13 Dec 03

how can i connect it up as a slave to see what i can download

powerless 10:33 13 Dec 03

Rip off the case to the PC.

Find the hard drive and disconnect it, remove the securing screws and power conector.

On the back of the drive there will be JUMPERS, little fiddly things you will have to postition them correctly. If you look on the hard drives shiny surface it may tell you what postiton they should be on for a slave configuration.

On the other PC, locate the hard drive and the big cable. Along the cable there will be a free connector (hopefull). Connect the hard drive up to that, power cable as well.

Power up and everything should work, then go in Windows under MY computer the hard drive should be seen, double click and see whats on it.

If the hard drive does not appear, double check jumpers and make sure the drive is recognised in the BIOS.

jakimo 12:10 13 Dec 03

click here this should help

Diemmess 12:18 13 Dec 03

What does she see when the computer is switched on?..........Many (bad) things may have happened but I would not expect the HD to have been wiped.

You may have to go with Powerless and try the HD in another computer. The damaged one may have faults from trivial to needing major and expensive parts replacement, but the data ought to be recoverable, using another computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…