Hard Drive Corrupt?

Crazygeorge3 08:56 14 Apr 07

Hello,
I have been having a bit of trouble with my HDD. It first occured when i tried to reinstall vista on it. It would install and it came up with the error code 0x80070003 and installation failed. I had an Old WD 5GB HDD laying around and i needed a PC. I installed vista fine on that and i am now using it. Vista picked up my other HDD, the one which it would't install on and i formatted it. It said format complete. However whenever i try and use something or download something onto the hard drive a weird error message comes up, or the files just won't work at all. I have tried to format many times but it does not make a difference. Any Suggestions?
Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:00 14 Apr 07

A new HD is around £30...dump the old one immediately, it is not worth messing about with.

G

Crazygeorge3 09:15 14 Apr 07

Thanks for the reply,
I am getting a new pc soon anyway so it does not really matter but i am selling the pc to somebody, and i do not really want to spend more money on the pc. I am sure there is a way to fix it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:17 14 Apr 07

Agree with above when a Disk starts to give that much trouble its time to replace.

However try checking for errors, In My compute, right click drive, slect properties, tools tab, error checking.

skidzy 09:20 14 Apr 07

Is this the RC version of Vista ?

This error code seems to relate to MS updates or click here

" The error code 0x80070003 means: "The system cannot find the path
specified" and in your windowsupdate.log, appear that the wups.dll file
failed to copy for some reason, have you changed the location of some
system folder in your computer?

also it could be that the wups.dll file is corrupted or damaged or with
a wrong permissions settings or.... you could try a search for this file
in your computer and rename or delete it directly, (previosly stop the
wuauserv service with the command "net stop wuauserv"), and restart
Windows Update again... "
From click here

Crazygeorge3 09:43 14 Apr 07

Thanks guys. No, i have not changed anything around in the system folder. I did forget to mention that i tried to install XP on the HDD just to see if it was vista. I got errors during setup about files being missing. I just carried on a skipped them and it did't work. It seems the hard drive doesnt want to hold files. As you suggested Fruit bat i am now running Disk check.
Thanks for the help everybody

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…