Hard drive copy

pancorjack 17:25 01 Apr 04

What sort of application do i need to take a complete backup of my C:drive onto another 20Gb hard disk installed internally. the idea being to be able to boot windows from the backup hard disk and have all my files in place if my C: drive fails?

Diemmess 17:40 01 Apr 04

It is not quite as simple as you hope. Your wish is commendable and to do it now-- before it happens. BUT it really is better to treat the O/S and precious data separately. Your data should be backed up very often and checked for reliability, but a working

Diemmess 17:53 01 Apr 04

Sorry, I was getting in a mess and intending to scrub what I had written but pushed the wrong button, so trying to continue from before......

The Operating system hopefully will not fall over very often and you can use special software to "clone" this.

Several snags pop up now. You didn't say which OS you are using but Windows 98 will fall over itself if there are two copies on the same computer so you really need to store the clone on the second HD and use it to overwrite the mess when C: goes belly up.

XP has all sorts of possibilities for recovery, but is a huge item to deal with.

At this point I will shrink away and let you bask in the warm advice others may offer, or at least let you think about this some more.

The easiest route is for a cloning program such as Norton Ghost. This will take a complete image of your drive and store it on the backup drive. In the event of a failure you would boot from a floppy disk and reinstall the entire "C" drive including operating system and data.

The one thing to be aware of is that although this is the quickest and easiest way to restore an entire disk - bit for bit- you will still lose any data that you have created since you took the last image.

A way around this is to use a program such as "Datakeeper" that is included on partition magic v.8. This constantly backs up changed files and can be set to back up to the (backup?) drive the same as Ghost. If a reinstall is needed, Ghost will have the main data and op sys with Datakeeper the extra bits that you have recently created.

The easiest route is for a cloning program such as Norton Ghost. This will take a complete image of your drive and store it on the backup drive. In the event of a failure you would boot from a floppy disk and reinstall the entire "C" drive including operating system and data.

The one thing to be aware of is that although this is the quickest and easiest way to restore an entire disk - bit for bit- you will still lose any data that you have created since you took the last image.

A way around this is to use a program such as "Datakeeper" that is included on partition magic v.8. This constantly backs up changed files and can be set to back up to the (backup?) drive the same as Ghost. If a reinstall is needed, Ghost will have the main data and op sys with Datakeeper the extra bits that you have recently created.

Satmansq 18:22 01 Apr 04

Personally I keep all my important files in My Documents, and that is the main file that I back up. I have noticed that over time with uninstalled programs that a lot of useless clutter collects.

This way all the important stuff is safe and if a problem arises, then I tend to reformat and start from scratch, eliminating the clutter. It may be a bit long winded to reinstall everything, but broad band helps when it comes to the windows patches and upgrades.

This works for me, whether the problem is software or hardware

Get the XP sp1 on CD from Misrosoft and all the updates are on it - saves downloading them even with broadband.

961 19:28 01 Apr 04

True Image will do what you wish

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…