Hard Drive Cooler Question

GRFT 12:12 30 May 04

My recently installed SATA drive runs pretty hot to touch, whereas the previous IDE drive was just slightly warm. I was wondering if it would be advisable to add a cooler. Has anyone any suggestions; ie, is an extra bay required to house such a device?

ste_bla 12:18 30 May 04

HDD coolers normally have up a 5.25" (i think size) but basically a cdrom bay.. what temp r they running at?

AndySD 12:25 30 May 04

click here then click on \How to install

GRFT 13:31 30 May 04

Thanks. The temp just outside the case is 38, which is about the same as my CPU. Had a look at the Zalman cooler which looks pretty involved, having to drill holes in the case and so on. I'll keep on looking.

ste_bla 13:45 30 May 04

You conect the coller to the HDD via the normal HDD screw placing, you then add some long washer type things and then screw it into a CD bay like you do with a CD-rom as screws will be in same place as a cdrom.. so why would you need to drill holes etc????

Chegs ® 13:56 30 May 04

I found my SATA hdd's were running hotter than the CPU too,installed an old 40mm fan front and back of the case and now my system/CPU temps are about the same(38-40C)Now all I need is something to aid the fans on the graphics card as during games the card can raise the temps to an unacceptable(to me)level.

ste_bla 14:06 30 May 04

if you got a radon you can get a fan to replace current one for under a tenner at ebuyer lot quieter on my 9600xt

Chegs ® 14:18 30 May 04

Its an Leadtek Ti4800,with two fans on it already.I have another PCI fan mounted right above it to assist in keeping it cool,but running NFS Underground at max res/detail creates a hell of a lot of heat.Things should improve a lot once I get hold of a watercooler as it should be possible to watercool the GC/CPU etc with a bit of adaptation.

ste_bla 14:20 30 May 04

GRFT 06:38 31 May 04

ste_bla. You're correct if you have a spare 5-1/4" bay, otherwise drilling is required, at least with the Zalman cooler I've been looking at.

Bowsprit 08:17 31 May 04

Which one have you been looking at ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…