hard drive confusion!!!!!

sezchwarn 19:22 16 Jul 08

Hi,

I have an ASrock k8nf4g motherboard with what I think is an ATA hard drive (its connected via a tapeworm like cable). My aim was to get a second hard drive to connect via the same cable, so that it acts as a secondary hard drive.

However, I knew nothing of ata/sata/sata2 until now, and I went and bought a generic hard drive that turned out to be a SATA one. The asock website says the motherboard supports 4 ATA IDE devices and has 2 SATAII connectors.

If i bought a SATA connector, could i connect it to the sata2 connector without problems?
Would it still integrate well?

Or would it be advisable to return the hard drive and get
a) another ata hard drive or
b) a sataII hard drive????

ronalddonald 19:26 16 Jul 08

if you take out the drive itself it should tell you on the casing what type of drive it is. When you replaced the drive did you look at the caasing im wondering if you can return the drive back and get it repalced with the old one.

ronalddonald 19:26 16 Jul 08

Some of the bios sectins tell what type of drive you have.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:23 16 Jul 08

"If i bought a SATA connector, could i connect it to the sata2 connector"
Yes

"without problems?"
more than likely it will boot OK.
However you may then have to enter BIOS to make sure the PC boots from the old hard drive.
If you cannot see the drive in My Computer you will have to go into Disk manager to format the drive.

woodchip 20:33 16 Jul 08

You should be able to connect the drive if you have the correct Cables, but you do need the Sata Drivers for windows to see it. It will most likely always show as a Second Drive not as the boot Drive

sezchwarn 12:08 17 Jul 08

"you do need the Sata Drivers"

Right, Im guessing I can just download these from the net? Thnks for all your replies. I just ordered a Sata data cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac