hard drive compatability

yaesu 22:49 08 Oct 09

Hi, I've a Dell 1100 with Dell's own motherboard and want to add another drive as a slave, the original is an ATA drive, would this do the job please? click here or are there preferable alternatives? Thanks, regards, Yaesu ps OS is XP with sp3

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 08 Oct 09

click here is this your machine?

DMA/ATA100 dives are EIDE click here PATA parallel ATA

the link you give is to a SATA serial ATA drive.

GaT7 23:07 08 Oct 09

Going by the specs click here, I don't think you can use a SATA drive, which you link to.

You need an IDE drive like click here.

Do you have space/mount in the case to add another hard drive?

Alternatively, if you have a spare PCI slot, you could get the drive you linked to & a PCI SATA card click here. You'll need to get the appropriate data click here & power converter click here cables as well.

If there's no space/mount in the case to house an additional drive, you could get an external USB hard drive click here. Shop around for the best prices. G

yaesu 23:10 08 Oct 09

Hi fruitbat /\0/\ yes although mines 3 years old now and has a smaller monitor, such is progress! Also when I click your second link it takes me back to the same page? Yaesu

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:18 08 Oct 09
  yaesu 23:31 08 Oct 09

Thanks folks, it looks as if Crossbow7's info about an external drive is possibly the best option, and it's more economical as well! Thanks also Fruitbat, I'll have a read of your link. Meanwhile I'll mark as solved and return eventually for update. Thanks again, Yaesu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5